So I was trying to get udev working on my gentoo install this evening and it was giving me no end of trouble. First when I tried booting it complained that there was no console, you have to look quick to figure this out because the darn thing rebooted pretty quickly. A little digging found the fix for this, udev is not yet started to create the devices needed but the console and null device are needed. To fix this boot to the recovery cd and run the following in the dev directory:
mknod -m660 console c 5 1
mknod -m660 null c 1 3
With this done I thought all would be well. I rebooted and it again broke on me, this time it could not find the entry in dev for the filesystem. So dig some more. I read the howto and forum postings on gentoo.org and followed their setup but to no avail. Eventually I hit upon the problem. Since I was changing over from devfs to udev I had to remove the file in /dev that told the system that devfs was running. The file is .devfs or something like that. Once this was out of the way the system was able to boot properly, creating all the device nodes that were needed. Actually it was just untarring them from a file so I am not running pure udev yet, that will come when I feel brave again.
I certainly am glad that I added the notes previously about setting up linux on the laptop. The drive developed a couple bad blocks exactly where the /bin directory was stored which hosed the entire directory. The machine was not too happy abou that. I ended up reinstalling the entire system. I had save some setup files but forgot some, name X’s configuration file. I reapplied what had been previously written and now the screen resolution is correct. Now I just have to remember what I did to setup the sound. I am running the 2.6 kernel with alsa compiled in but kde is not picking up on that, not sure why just now. Eventually I will figure it out and then hopefully remember to put the info up here for future reference.
I did learn how to map out bad blocks using reiserfs. Not too hard will put that up later and hopefully I still have the page I got it from so that credit due can be given.
I always thought that doing X11 tunnelling with ssh would be a hard thing to setup and understand but it turns out to be quite easy.
First of all on the machine being connected to (remotehost) change the sshd_config file to include:
then kill -HUP the sshd client.
Next when connecting from linux use the following syntax:
ssh -X remotehost
login as usual.
Now try a simple xterm & to see if it works. It went first time for me.
The extended entry contains the html from the page I found this. If it is still working you can reach it here. I copied the source over since this is being hosted on a .edu site and it will likely disappear once the student leaves school.
Continue reading “ssh tunnelling”
Setup toshiba 2414-s205 for use in linux
Continue reading “Toshiba Laptop”